"Ecomusicology," Grove Dictionary of American Music, Second Edition (New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2013).
- That entry appears on the main page of this website (for further information on how it was written, see this page).
- Finnish translation: "Ekomusikologia," in Musiikin Suunta, XXXV, no. 1 (2013): 8-10.
"Colloquy: Ecomusicology," Journal of the American Musicological Society 64, no. 2 (2011): 391-419.
- This page provides further info and a PDF.
"Symphonic Pastorals," Green Letters: Studies in Ecocriticism 15 (2011): 22-42. (Reproduced by permission.)
- PDF available here (includes corrected Table 1).
"Ecomusicology: Music, Culture, Environmental Studies . . . and Change," [Review Essay] Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 2, no. 2 (2012): 192-201. DOI 10.1007/s13412-012-0072-1.
- Available on-line (formatted) via SpringerLink, or un-formatted in PDF (with minor post-publication corrections highlighted).
with Miranda S. Freeman, "The Ecomusicology Bibliography via Zotero: A Dynamic and Emerging Scholarly Resource," Ecomusicology Newsletter 1 (January 2012): 6-9.
"'Fatto di Fiemme': Stradivari's Violins and the Musical Trees of the Paneveggio," in Invaluable Trees: Cultures of Nature, 1660-1830, eds. Laura Auricchio, Elizabeth Heckendorn Cook, and Giulia Pacini, 301-315 (Oxford: SVEC, 2012).
- Book information here (contact me if you have trouble getting a copy).
- Utne Reader (magazine) article mentioning this research.
- Article by Mark Pedelty mentioning this research.
"Global Warming, Climate Change, and Music," in Music in American Life: An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories that Shaped our Culture, edited by Jacqueline Edmondson (Greenwood, forthcoming 2013). Reproduced by permission of ABC-CLIO, LLC, Santa Barbara, CA.
- PDF available here (draft, pre-proofs!).
"Ecomusicology: Bridging the Sciences, Arts, and Humanities," in Environmental Leadership: A Reference Handbook, ed. Deborah Rigling Gallagher, 373-381 (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012).
"Bruce Cockburn: Canadian, Christian, Conservationist," in Political Rock, eds. Mark Pedelty and Kristine Weglarz, 65-90 (Ashgate, 2013).
- Available through Ashgate.
with Laurence Libin, "Sustainability," Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, Second Edition (New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
Engström, Andreas and Juha Torvinen. "Musiikintutkimus ja kulttuurinen ympäristökriisi" ["Music Research and Environmental Crises in Culture"], Musiikin Suunta [The Direction of Music], XXXV, no. 1 (2013): 49-54.
Campus Sustainability publications:
"Institutional Change and Campus Greening at Tulane University," in Proceedings of a Conference on Sustainability of Wetlands and Water Resources, Oxford, Mississippi, May 23-26, 2000 (Asheville, NC: United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station, General Technical Report SRS-50, March 2002): 4-13.
- PDF here [an updated version of the chapter in the below Filho, ed., volume].
"Institutional Change and Leadership in Greening the Campus," in Sustainability and University Life, ed. Walter Leal Filho (Frankfurt: Peter Lang Publishers, 1999): 105-127.